12 Dec Gluten-Free Cauliflower Crusted Spinach and Feta Quiche
There’s nothing quite like a delicious quiche. But, when you’re watching what you eat or suffer from gluten intolerance, having a quiche may not be all it’s cracked up to be. However, you can now have a simple quiche that is both filling and tasty, without the gluten.
250g cauliflower rice (You can buy it fresh or frozen, or buy fresh cauliflower and “mince it yourself in a food processor)
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
2 large egg whites
6 large egg whites
2 large eggs
250g of frozen spinach
¾ cup of fetta cheese
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to approximately 180 degrees celsius.
- Cook your cauliflower rice according to the instructions. If you’re making it yourself, use a whole head of cauliflower, chop it up into smaller pieces and mince it in a food processor. Cook it in the microwave until it is hot. Lay out your cauliflower rice onto a cheesecloth or thin tea-towel and allow it to cool. Then, squeeze out the excess moisture so that you’re left with cauliflower that resembles mashed potato.
- Add your cauliflower to a bowl and add the parmesan and egg whites. Stir it together until it forms a doughy texture.
- Spread the mixture into a lined flan tin. Cook the base in the oven until the base just starts to brown.
- Combine all of your filling ingredients together in a bowl.
- Once your base has cooked slightly, remove it from the oven and pour your quiche filling onto your base.
- Place your quiche back into the oven and cook until the filling springs back slightly when pressed and the filling has set.
- Simply serve with a fresh salad, roasted vegetables or have it on its own as a snack.
This recipe is very filling and is a lovely, light and healthy alternative to traditional quiches. It’s also quite a low calorie at approximately 120 calories per serve (depending on the ingredients chosen), so this is perfect for those looking for a healthy meal. To top it off, the kids will love the cheesy flavour of the feta. Feel free to mix up the ingredients slightly to suit your taste. You may also want to add sliced cherry tomatoes, cubes of cooked pumpkin or other types of cheese.
Healthy eating and finding tasty recipes when looking after yourself doesn’t have to be difficult. With the right food choices, you’ll be able to get the nutrients you need as well as be filled with delicious foods you know are good for you.